22730 Farmway Rd
Caldwell, ID - 83607
The Caldwell Housing Authority (CHA) is located in the rural setting of western Canyon County. Originally built in 1939 by the U.S. Department of Agriculture as the Idaho Migratory Labor Camp, it was one of only a few labor camps built by the federal government to provide housing to farmers displaced by the Great Depression. In 1950 the migratory camp was turned over to the Housing Authority that was created only a few years previously. Now, almost 72 years later, the migratory camp has transformed from a campsite arrangement that could accommodate 350 people to a modern town with 243 units of housing and several amenities that serve approximately 1,500 people. Since opening, several planned developments have occurred and the quality of housing has improved similar to, if not better than, housing found in many rural communities.
The Caldwell Housing Authority provides rental housing to eligible farm labor families with limited income. Providing farm labor housing is our primary responsibility under the U.S. Department of Agriculture rules and regulations. Although we are proud to have provided farm labor housing since 1940, we also recognize the diminishing need for farm labor in our area and the necessity to rent housing to non-farm families or individuals with limited income.